Guernsey Electricity has previously adopted a more reactive stance to learning & development, which has led to an inconsistent approach to employee development. The primary focus has also been on meeting training compliance needs rather than encouraging employee development through leadership or professional skills training e.g in 2014/2015 56% of spend was on compliance training, 36% on professional development and only 8% on leadership development.
With an aging infrastructure, a volatile energy sector with fluctuating prices and increased competition Guernsey Electricity needed to re align itself as an agile organisation to not only respond to these opportunities and challenges but to get ahead of the curve in leading and shaping the future.
Energise ‘Developing Excellence in Leadership’ is one of the key initiatives to lead the transformational change agenda across the organisation.
The leadership programme was designed around three levels: Professional leadership – for leaders of business; Team leadership – for leaders of people; Executive leadership – for leaders of leaders.
The programme started with the Executive Leadership Team to create consistency and alignment and was driven by the philosophy that if the Executive team are demonstrating role model behaviours then they set the standard for the rest of the organisation.
A blended solution, aligning to the 70/20/10 principles, to be delivered over a 3 year period was implemented. With the programme objectives including:
- Developing the essential leadership skills, knowledge and experience required to be successful in their role
- Learning how to inspire and lead others by understanding their own strengths and development needs
- Building their awareness and understanding of Guernsey Electricity’s values, culture and strategic goals; helping them to connect the business strategy to their everyday work
- Help their people understand what excellent leadership is and what it isn’t
- Understanding what it takes both from within yourself and through your influence to deliver high performance
- Gain confidence in leading teams to success
- Discover how to build a positive team and learning culture
- Develop core competencies to be high performing in their role